An easy one-bowl recipe for soft and fluffy gluten-free dairy-free vanilla cupcakes topped with delicious vanilla buttercream frosting. Perfect for allergy-friendly birthday parties.
- 2 ½ (400g) cups gluten-free 1:1 flour blend *check to see if it contains xanthan gum
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum *omit if the gluten-free flour blend contains it or if using regular flour
- 1 ½ cups (300g) granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup (160g) dairy-free sour cream or plain yogurt, room temperature
- ½ cup (120ml) canola or vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup (177ml) dairy-free milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare 2 cupcake pans with liners for a total of 24 cupcakes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl combine the sugar, sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix on high for 2 minutes.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum (if using) and start to mix on low.
- While the mixer is on low slowly pour in the milk and mix until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared cupcake pans. Fill approximately ⅔ – ¾ full and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes with just a few moist little crumbs.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the cupcake pan for 10 minutes and then remove them to a cooling rack to fully cool.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter on high speed until light and fluffy. Approximately 10 minutes.
Add in the icing sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and mix on low until combined.
Turn the mixer up to high and let mix for 5 minutes until smooth and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- If you desire a bright white frosting, dip the tip of a toothpick in purple gel food color and put it in the buttercream. Mix again on high and repeat if necessary. Use only a tiny bit of purple each time as you can always add more but you can never take it away.
- Fit a piping bag with a Wilton 1M piping tip. Fill the bag with the prepared buttercream.
- On a fully cooled cupcake, start in the center, and with even pressure begin to pipe the frosting in a circular motion moving out and then up. As you move the frosting up to build the swirl slightly twist your wrist to create the ruffle effect if desired. At the top of the swirl, release the pressure and pull off the piping bag. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free vanilla cupcakes, dairy free vanilla cupcakes, allergy friendly vanilla cupcakes, lactose free vanilla cupcakes, vanilla cupcake recipe, gluten free dairy free vanilla cupcakes, gluten free vanilla cupcake recipe, gluten free birthday cupcakes