Peanut butter and jelly. Peanut butter and jam. No matter what you call it, it’s downright delicious. The sweet and salty combination brings me back to childhood. Proud memories of making my first pb&j sandwich and licking the knife clean after applying both the peanut butter and the jam. My food hygiene practices have certainly improved but my love of peanut butter and jam has stayed the same. These insanely scrumptious stuffed peanut butter and jelly cookies are everything nostalgic and yummy.
Note: This post contains affiliate links to which I earn a small commission, but don’t worry there’s no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting CAKED by Katie.
The Best Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Quite possibly my new favorite cookie recipe, these stuffed peanut butter and jelly cookies are sweet, salty, and downright delicious. A soft chewy peanut butter cookie filled with sweet strawberry jelly or jam, you won’t be able to resist going back for a second or even a third helping.
Why These Stuffed PB&J Cookies Are The Best
No chill time is needed with these amazing gluten-free dairy-free peanut butter and jelly cookies. Simply mix them, stuff them, bake them, and devour them! Cookies don’t get much easier than that. Better yet, the dough freezes like an absolute dream. Mix up a double, heck, even triple batch and pop any extra straight into the freezer for those last-minute cookie needs. These pb&j cookies are hard to beat!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Ingredients & Substitutions
As always this recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. That said, I do test each recipe with “regular” ingredients and make notes of alternatives or swaps so that everyone can enjoy it.
Here are a few key ingredients for these cookies but make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom recipe card for the complete ingredient list.
- Gluten-Free Flour: Check to see if your blend contains xanthan gum and omit it from the recipe below if it does. Note that gluten-free flour blends can vary in weight so I recommend measuring by the cup. I made these cookies with XO Baking Co. all-purpose flour blend. If you are not gluten-free, swap the flour with regular all-purpose flour and omit the xanthan gum.
- Dairy-Free Butter: I enjoy baking with Becel plant-based bricks but any vegan butter substitute will work. You can also use regular butter if you are not vegan/dairy-free.
- Peanut Butter: I used Kraft smooth peanut butter but any smooth/creamy peanut butter, like Jif or Skippy, will work. Do not use natural peanut butter.
- Jelly/Jam: Both jelly and jam will work for these delicious cookies and in any flavor you prefer. The more solid the consistency the easier the cookies will be to stuff, shape, and seal.
How To Ensure Easy PB&J Success
Let’s double-check all our cookie bases to ensure we have the most incredible life-changing gluten-free and dairy-free peanut butter and jelly cookies.
- Cream the butter & sugar: To create huge bakery-style cookies, creaming the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy is so important. Tiny little microscopic air pockets are being formed, which creates the delicious melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Medium cookie scoop: We’re going for giant cookies and that means using a good quality cookie scoop. Use a 1.5-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop your cookie dough balls. Remember that each cookie is going to use two scoops of dough: one for the bottom and one for the top.
- Jelly/Jam Filling: Make sure to seal in the edges all around the cookie dough ball when you stuff it with the jelly/jam. If this intimidates you, portion out 13 teaspoon servings of the jam on a parchment paper lined plate and pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Don’t overbake the cookies: These gluten-free and dairy-free peanut butter and jelly cookies are gloriously soft because they are ever-so-slightly underbaked when removed from the oven. The heat from the cookie pan will continue to bake these cookies after they come out so don’t worry about them being raw.
Can I Freeze The Cookie Dough?
Yes! Woohoo! You can absolutely freeze this cookie dough for when that cookie craving hits. I recommend scooping and stuffing each cookie dough ball, freezing them on a tray, and then placing the dough into a large Ziploc freezer bag. This will allow you to pull out however many cookies you desire to bake at any time.
And no need to thaw, simply preheat the oven, pop them in, and bake for approximately 1 minute longer than the time listed below on the recipe card.
How To Store Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Store these perfectly sweet and salty peanut butter and jelly cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. Likewise, they can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
The Easiest Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Giant, chewy, and stuffed full of jelly, these sweet and salty peanut butter and jelly cookies will become a weekend baking staple. Gluten-free and dairy-free, pb&j cookies are an absolute delight in every delicious bite.
I would love to know if you make these sensationally stuffed peanut butter and jelly cookies. If you do, tag me on social media @cakedbykatie and leave this recipe a 5-star rating and review below. I can’t wait to see!
Other Cookies Recipes To Try
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Honey Sugar Cookies
- Key Lime Pie Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free Sparkle Cookies
- Gluten-Free & Vegan Coconut Orange Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)
- Total Time: 39 Minutes
- Yield: 13 Large Cookies 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Sweet and salty, these stuffed gluten-free and dairy-free peanut butter and jelly cookies are almost too good to be true. A must-bake!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- 1 cup (240g) smooth/creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup (113g) dairy-free salted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (192g) gluten-free flour *
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum ** omit if the gluten-free flour blend already contains it
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, extra for sprinkling if desired
- ¼ cup (60ml) strawberry jelly/jam/preserves, extra for drizzling if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl with electric beaters, cream together the peanut butter and butter on high until smooth.
- Add in the brown sugar and mix again on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt and mix for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again for another minute.
- Add in the flour and xanthan gum (if using) and mix on low until just combined and a dough forms.
- With a 1½ tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop 2 portions of the cookie dough and roughly flatten each. Place one flattened cookie dough ball in the palm of your hand and place 1 teaspoon of jelly in the center of the dough. Top with the remaining flattened cookie dough and pinch the edges together to seal. Gently roll/form it back into a ball and place it on the prepared cookie sheet. *** If you want a thicker cookie, chill the stuffed cookie dough ball for 1 hour before baking.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough, placing 3 inches apart, and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown and the center appears to be just slightly underbaked.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to fully cool on the cookie sheet. Top with extra coarse sea salt or a drizzle of melted jelly if desired. Enjoy!
- Store leftover cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 7 days or frozen for up to 6 months.
* Check to see if the gluten-free flour blend contains xanthan gum.
** Omit the xanthan gum if already contained in the gluten-free flour blend or if using regular all-purpose flour.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 14 Minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 19 Grams
- Sodium: 61 Miligrams
- Fat: 12 Grams
- Saturated Fat: 5 Grams
- Trans Fat: 0 Grams
- Carbohydrates: 39 Grams
- Fiber: 1 Gram
- Protein: 6 Grams
- Cholesterol: 32 Miligrams
Keywords: gluten-free peanut butter and jelly cookies, peanut butter and jelly cookies, pb&j cookies, stuffed peanut butter cookies, dairy-free peanut butter and jelly cookies, peanut butter and jam cookies, gluten-free peanut butter and jam cookies
These cookies are scrumptious! The perfect combo of pb and j. And soft and gooey. We gobbled them up.
PB&J is hard to beat!