Chocolate and mint. A flavor combo straight out of the perfect pairing playbook. Richly deep decadent chocolate highlighted gorgeously by light refreshing peppermint. These gluten-free and vegan chocolate mint cookies are a morsel of genuine delight and only need 20 minutes of your time! Now that, my sweet friends, is music to a cookie lover’s ears.
Note: This post contains affiliate links to which I earn a small commission, but don’t worry there’s no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting CAKED by Katie.
The Best Gluten-Free & Vegan Chocolate Mint Cookies
A well-known and loved combo, these chocolate mint cookies are rich, refreshing, and downright delicious. A soft chewy chocolate peppermint cookie filled with decadent dark chocolate chips and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt. Practically begging for a glass of cold milk, these dreamy vegan mint cookies will have you coming back for seconds.
Why These Chocolate Mint Cookies Are The Best
No chill time is needed with these amazing gluten-free vegan chocolate mint cookies. Simply mix them, bake them, and devour them! Cookies don’t get much easier than that. Better yet, the dough freezes like an absolute dream. Mix up a double, heck, even triple batch and pop any extra straight into the freezer for those last-minute cookie needs.
Chocolate Mint Cookie Ingredients & Substitutions
As always this recipe is gluten-free and vegan. That said, I do test each recipe with “regular” ingredients and make notes of alternatives or swaps so that everyone can enjoy it.
Here are a few key ingredients for these cookies but make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom recipe card for the complete ingredient list.
- Gluten-Free Flour: Check to see if your blend contains xanthan gum and omit it from the recipe below if it does. Note that gluten-free flour blends can vary in weight so I recommend measuring by the cup. I made these cookies with Kinnikinnick all-purpose flour blend. If you are not gluten-free, swap the flour with regular all-purpose flour and omit the xanthan gum.
- Vegan Butter: I enjoy baking with Becel plant-based bricks but any vegan butter substitute will work. Use regular salted butter if you are not vegan or dairy-free.
- Vegan Sour Cream/Yogurt: Instead of eggs, I used vegan sour cream in this recipe. It works like a charm! Plain vegan yogurt will work and so will regular vanilla yogurt or sour cream. You could also use 1 large egg if you are not vegan or dairy-free.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips: Pascha makes these heavenly, vegan dark chocolate chips. If you are not vegan or dairy-free, I highly encourage you to use a chocolate mint chip such as Andes or Hershey’s Chipits.
- Peppermint Extract: Essential for these cookies, you should be able to find it at any grocery store in the baking section or here on amazon.
- Cocoa Powder: Putting the chocolate in these chocolate cookies, I used Pascha cocoa powder. Make sure you are using cocoa powder and not hot chocolate powder/mix. Quality cocoa powder is best but use whatever you have on hand.
How To Ensure Mint Chocolate Cookie Success
Let’s double-check all our cookie bases to ensure we have the most incredible life-changing gluten-free and vegan mint chocolate cookies.
- Cream the butter & sugar: To create these wondrously chewy cookies, creaming the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy is key. Tiny little microscopic air pockets are being formed, which creates the delicious melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- Don’t overbake the cookies: These gluten-free and vegan chocolate peppermint cookies are gloriously soft because they are ever-so-slightly underbaked when removed from the oven. The heat from the cookie pan will continue to bake these cookies after they come out so don’t worry about them being raw.
- Bang the pan: Want those gorgeously crinkle-like edges? Make sure to give the bang a few solid bangs on the counter as soon as you pull the cookies from the oven to help deflate them.
Can I Freeze The Cookie Dough?
Yes! Woohoo! You can absolutely freeze this cookie dough for when that cookie craving hits. I recommend scooping each cookie dough ball, freezing them on a tray, and then placing the dough into a large Ziploc freezer bag. This will allow you to pull out however many cookies you desire to bake at any time.
And no need to thaw, simply preheat the oven, pop them in, and bake for approximately 1 minute longer than the time listed below on the recipe card.
How To Store Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Store these sinfully scrumptious gluten-free peppermint chocolate cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. Likewise, they can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Pro Tips & Tricks & FAQs
Can I substitute chocolate chunks or chopped chocolate bars?
Absolutely! Pick whatever chocolate style has your heart a-flutter and swap it in. Just ensure the quantity is the same as listed below on the recipe card.
My cookies aren’t perfectly round.
Sometimes an errant chocolate chip or cookie edge will come out slightly wonky. Don’t sweat it. Use a butter knife or overturned glass to re-shape the edges as soon as they come out of the oven.
How do I know they are baked?
The edges will appear dry and slightly cracked while the center will still appear to be underbaked.
The Easiest Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Mint Cookies
Soft, chewy, and loaded with deep rich chocolate and refreshing peppermint, these chocolate mint cookies will become a weekend baking staple. Gluten-free and vegan, peppermint chocolate cookies are an absolute delight in every delicious bite.
I would love to know if you make these marvelously minty cookies. If you do, tag me on social media @cakedbykatie and leave this recipe a 5-star rating and review below. I can’t wait to see it!
Other Cookies Recipes To Try
- Chai Oatmeal Cookies (DF)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies (GF & DF)
- Cherry Chip Cookies (GF & V)
- Espresso Molasses Cookies (DF)
- Gingersnaps (GF & DF)
- Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF & DF)
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (DF)
- Coconut Orange Cookies (GF & V)