It’s not the holidays until I’ve baked a batch of warm and cozy gingersnaps. After my oldest daughter’s celiac diagnosis, I have been testing a gluten-free dairy-free gingersnap cookie recipe and I finally nailed it. A slightly crisp cookie edge with a soft and thick middle. Full of warm ginger, a hint of cinnamon, and rolled in granulated sugar for the perfect sparkly crinkly gingersnap cookie top. These gingersnaps are an absolute holiday must-bake.
Note: This post contains affiliate links to which I earn a small commission, but don’t worry there’s no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting CAKED by Katie.
The Best Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Gingersnap Cookies
Without a doubt, these are the best gluten-free dairy-free gingersnap cookies you’ll ever make. A soft slightly chewy center and lightly crisp edges make the perfect cookie texture. And talk about pretty: a sugar-coated crinkly gingersnap is picture-perfect in my classic Christmas cookie textbook.
Why These Gingersnaps Are The Best
No chill time is needed with these amazing gluten-free dairy-free gingersnaps. Simply mix them up, roll them in sugar, and bake away! Cookies don’t get much easier than that! Better yet, the dough freezes like an absolute dream. Mix up a double, heck, even triple batch and pop any extra straight into the freezer for those last-minute holiday cookie needs. These gingersnaps are hard to beat!
Gingersnap Ingredients & Substitutions
As always this recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. That said, I do test each recipe with “regular” ingredients and make notes of alternatives or swaps so that everyone can enjoy it.
Here are a few key ingredients for these cookies but make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom recipe card for the complete ingredient list.
- Gluten-Free Flour: Check to see if your blend contains xanthan gum and omit if it does. Note that gluten-free flour blends can vary in weight so I recommend measuring by the cup. I made this cake with Kinnikinnick all-purpose flour blend. If you are not gluten-free, swap the flour with regular all-purpose flour and omit the xanthan gum.
- Dairy-Free Butter: I enjoy baking with Becel plant-based bricks but any dairy-free butter substitute will work. You can also use regular butter if you are not dairy-free.
- Fancy Molasses: Fancy molasses is the sweetest of the molasses types and therefore what I used in this recipe. You could use cooking molasses but I advise against blackstrap molasses as it will be quite bitter.
- Spices: Gingersnaps contain ground ginger, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Each spice brings a delicious flavor depth to this cookie so don’t skip them. I also recommend using fresh spices for full flavor.
How To Ensure Gingersnap Cookie Success
Let’s double-check all our cookie bases to ensure we have the most incredible life-changing gluten-free and dairy-free gingersnaps.
- Cream the butter & sugar: To create light and slightly puffy gingersnaps, the first step of creaming the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy is so important. Tiny little microscopic air pockets are being formed, which creates leavening and will help achieve that beautiful crinkle top.
- Roll in sugar: While it’s an extra step, I promise it’s one you don’t want to skip. Rolling each cookie dough ball in granulated white sugar gives that beautiful sparkly appearance plus adds a delicious subtle crunch to each and every delicious cookie bite.
- Don’t overbake the cookies: These gluten-free and dairy-free gingersnap cookies are gloriously chewy and soft because they are ever-so-slightly underbaked when removed from the oven. The heat from the cookie pan will continue to bake these cookies after they come out so don’t worry about them being raw.
Can I Freeze The Cookie Dough?
Yes! Woohoo! You can absolutely freeze this cookie dough for when that cookie craving hits. I recommend scooping each cookie dough ball after chilling and placing the dough into a large Ziploc freezer bag. This will allow you to pull out however many cookies you desire to bake at any time. And no need to thaw, simply preheat your oven, pop them in the oven, and bake for approximately 1 minute longer than the time listed below on the recipe card.
How To Store Gluten-Free Gingersnaps
Store these amazing gingersnap cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. Likewise, they can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
The Easiest One-Bowl Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Gingersnap Cookies
Chewy and soft, with a gorgeous crinkle top, these classic gingersnaps will become your new go-to holiday cookie recipe. Gluten-free and dairy-free, these cookies are everything cozy with flavors of ginger and molasses and bake up to a crispy edge perfection.
I would love to know if you make these fantastic gingersnaps. If you do, tag me on social media @cakedbykatie and leave this recipe a rating and review below. Can’t wait to see it!
Other Cookies Recipes To Try
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Key Lime Pie Cookies
- Gluten-Free Sparkle Cookies
- Gluten-Free & Vegan Coconut Orange Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies