There is something so comforting, so totally indulgent and delicious and decadent about biting into a freshly baked gooey cookie loaded with all the warm melty chocolate. Safe to say we have all experienced that first bite of chocolate chip cookie delight and it’s true love each and every time, right?! These gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies are 100% cookie heaven.
Note: This post contains affiliate links to which I earn a small commission, but don’t worry there’s no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting CAKED by Katie.
The Best Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Without a doubt, these are the best gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies you’ll ever make. A soft slightly chewy center and lightly crisp golden brown edges make the perfect cookie texture. Loaded with chocolate chips and chocolate chunks, they are easy to make and don’t even require a mixer.
Why These Chocolate Chip Cookies Are The Best
Extra big and extra thick! I generally make cookies with a medium scoop but I doubled up and went for the large one. Each cookie is approximately 3 tablespoons of dough maximizing chocolate chip yum in each and every single cookie. This recipe does require a bit of chill time, but trust me when I say that it’s worth it. No more dry or crumbly gluten-free cookies, these ones are maximum moist, soft, and chewy.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients & Substitutions
As always this recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free. That said, I do test each recipe with “regular” ingredients and make notes of alternatives or swaps so that everyone can enjoy it.
Here are a few key ingredients for these cookies but make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom recipe card for the complete ingredient list.
- Gluten-Free Flour: Check to see if your blend contains xanthan gum and omit if it does. Note that gluten-free flour blends can vary in weight so I recommend measuring by the cup. I made this cake with Kinnikinnick all-purpose flour blend. If you are not gluten-free, swap the flour with regular all-purpose flour and omit the xanthan gum.
- Dairy-Free Butter: I enjoy baking with Becel plant-based bricks but any dairy-free butter substitute will work. You can also use regular butter if you are not dairy-free.
- Whole Egg & Egg Yolk: The key to an ultra-thick and chewy cookie is the addition of the extra egg yolk. It adds richness, helps bind the cookie dough, and creates a tender chew in every bite. Don’t skip this! Note: This can be swapped with two flax eggs for vegan.
- Vanilla Extract: I will always encourage pure vanilla extract. It’s truly the best but with that said, artificial extract works as well in a pinch or on a budget.
- Brown Sugar: This recipe uses both brown and white sugar but note that the larger measurement of brown sugar is what will produce a soft and chewy texture.
- Cornstarch While not a lot is required in this recipe, cornstarch is necessary to create a thick cookie with a tender center.
- Chocolate Chips/Chunks: Two different kinds of dairy-free chocolate are what make these cookies ultra delicious. Semi-sweet chocolate chips are everything classic and chocolate chunks create dreamy melted pools of chocolate in each and every cookie bite. Feel free to use any kind (milk, dark, semi-sweet, white, etc.) in any form you prefer. Just make sure to use the same measurements. Regular chocolate will work great as well if you are not dairy-free.
How To Ensure Chocolate Chip Cookie Success
Let’s double-check all our cookie bases to ensure we have the most incredible life-changing gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies.
- Chill the cookie dough: This step is SO important. You will end up with flat chocolate chip cookies that spread everywhere unless you chill the dough for at least 2-3 hours. I recommend chilling overnight if at all possible. This time allows the dough to rest and the ingredients to fully absorb and incorporate together.
- Big cookie dough scoops: An ultra big and thick cookie is made from ultra big and thick cookie dough balls. I used my 3-tablespoon cookie scoop and dropped each cookie ball onto the tray. Don’t press the dough down or flatten it, leave each cookie dough ball nice and round.
- Don’t overbake the cookies: These gluten-free and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies are gloriously chewy and soft because they are ever-so-slightly underbaked when removed from the oven. The heat from the cookie pan will continue to bake these cookies after they come out so don’t worry about them being raw.
Can I Freeze The Cookie Dough?
Yes! Woohoo! You can absolutely freeze this cookie dough for when that cookie craving hits. I recommend scooping each cookie dough ball after chilling and placing the dough into a large Ziploc freezer bag. This will allow you to pull out however many cookies you desire to bake at any given time. And no need to thaw, simply preheat your oven, pop them in the oven, and bake for approximately 1 minute longer than the time listed below on the recipe card.
How To Store Chocolate Chip Cookies
Store these amazing chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. Likewise, they can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
The Easiest One-Bowl Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy, soft, and massive bakery-style chocolate chip cookies that will become your new go-to cookie recipe. Gluten-free and dairy-free, these cookies are loaded with two different kinds of chocolate and bake up to light golden brown crispy edge perfection.
I would love to know if you make these amazing chocolate chip cookies. If you do, tag me on social media @cakedbykatie and leave this recipe a rating and review below. Can’t wait to see it!
Other Cookies Recipes To Try
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- Dairy-Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Key Lime Pie Cookies
- Gluten-Free Sparkle Cookies
- Gluten-Free & Vegan Coconut Orange Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies