A fluffy gluten-free and dairy-free funfetti layer cake perfect for any and every special celebration. Full of fun brightly colored sprinkles and smooth whipped vanilla buttercream frosting, this cake is ready to party!
Funfetti Layer Cake
- ¾ cup (175ml) dairy-free milk, room temperature
- ¼ cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 cups (320g) gluten-free flour 1:1 baking blend *
- 1 ¼ cup (250g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum **
- ⅔ cup (151g) salted dairy-free butter, room temperature & cubed
- 1 cup (192g) gluten-free sprinkles
Funfetti Layer Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF degrees and prepare three 6-inch round cake pans with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the milk, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer and with the flat beater attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum and give it a quick mix together for approximately 1 minute.
- Add in the butter, each cube at a time, to the dry ingredients and mix on low until it looks like coarse sand.
- Slowly pour in approximately half the liquid mixture from step 2 and mix on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the remaining liquid mixture and mix on low for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer off and scrape down the edges of the bowl. Turn the mixer to medium and allow to mix for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the sprinkles and mix until just combined with a spatula.
- Divide the cake batter into the three prepared cake pans and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The edges will be a light gold and begin to pull away from the cake pan.
- Allow the cake layers to cool for 10 minutes and then invert them on a cooling rack to fully cool.
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter on high speed until light and fluffy. Approximately 10 minutes.
Add in the icing sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and mix on low until combined. If using pink or any other food color, add it in now.
Turn the mixer up to high and let mix for 5 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary.
Level each fully cooled funfetti cake layer with a cake leveler or knife if needed.
Place one layer of funfetti cake on a cake board, plate, and/or cake turntable and top with approximately 1 ½ cups of vanilla buttercream.
Repeat with the remaining layers and apply a thin coat of buttercream all over the cake. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Cover the cake with another layer of buttercream and smooth the sides with a cake smoother. Leave the top edge raw and unfinished or create sharp edges with an offset spatula. Level with the top of the cake, use the offset spatula to drag the buttercream top edge towards the center. Repeat this motion around the entire top edge of the cake.
Decorate the cake as you please. I used extra sprinkles to cover the bottom of the cake. Place the cake on a large cookie sheet to catch the extra sprinkles and gently, with the palm of your hand, press the sprinkles up against the bottom of the cake. I topped the cake with buttercream swirls using a Wilton 2D piping tip and placed a gluten-free cookie between each swirl. Enjoy!
- Store leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
This cake can easily be made with regular dairy and glutenous ingredients. Make sure you go by the cup measurement and not the weight measurement when using regular ingredients.
** Omit the xanthan gum if your gluten-free baking blend already contains it.
- Prep Time: 60 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 698
- Sugar: 45 Grams
- Sodium: 227 Miligrams
- Fat: 39 Grams
- Saturated Fat: 24 Grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 10 Grams
- Trans Fat: 1 Grams
- Carbohydrates: 72 Grams
- Fiber: 1 Gram
- Protein: 4 Grams
- Cholesterol: 155 Miligrams
Keywords: gluten-free funfetti cake, gluten-free funfetti layer cake, gluten-free funfetti cake recipe, gluten-free funfetti layer cake recipe, gluten-free confetti cake, gluten-free sprinkle cake, gluten-free birthday cake