An easy and delicious vegan and gluten-free tiramisu layer cake with coffee-soaked vanilla cake layers covered in coconut whip cream. The perfect slice of tiramisu yum for everyone!
Tiramisu Layer Cake
- ⅔ cup (160g) vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup (250g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (120ml) vegan sour cream, room temperature *
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (320g) gluten-free flour baking blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum **
- ¾ cup (180ml) vegan milk, room temperature
- ½ – 1 cup (120–240 ml) espresso or strongly brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1 bar (80g) vegan chocolate
Coconut Whip Cream
- 2 cans (800ml) coconut cream, chilled overnight
- ¼ cup (60g) icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
Tiramisu Layer Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare two 8 inch round cake pans with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer and with the flat beater attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high for 5 minutes.
- Add in the sour cream and vanilla extract and mix on high for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum and turn the mixer on low.
- As the mixer is on low slowly pour in the milk and allow the batter to mix until just combined. Be careful to not over-mix the batter. Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Divide the cake batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs and the cake edges begin to pull away from the cake pans.
- Allow the cake layers to cool for 10 minutes and then invert them on a cooling rack to fully cool.
- Place the fully cooled cake layers back into the cake pans and with a fork, skewer, or knife poke holes all over the top of both cake layers.
- Depending on how strong of a coffee flavor you desire, evenly pour ¼ – ½ cup of espresso or strongly brewed coffee over each cake layer and allow to soak in. Set the cake layers aside as you prepare the coconut whip cream.
Coconut Whip Cream
- Ensure the canned coconut has been well chilled overnight in the fridge. This is crucial to making fluffy coconut whip cream. Do not shake the can to mix. A well-chilled bowl and beater will also help.
- Carefully open the chilled canned coconut cream and scrape the thickened cream out and into the mixing bowl. Leave any liquid in the can.
- Add in the icing sugar and white vinegar and, with the whisk attachment, mix on high until smooth and fluffy. This should only take approximately 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary. Over-whipping will cause the coconut cream to revert back to liquid.
- Use the coconut whip cream right away or immediately place it in the refrigerator.
- Top one layer of coffee-soaked cake with half of the coconut whip cream and spread evenly to the edges of the cake.
- Top the coconut whip cream with a healthy dose of chocolate shavings.
- Place the remaining cake layer on top and repeat steps 1 and 2. Enjoy!
- Leftover cake slices should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*Vegan sour cream can be replaced with plain or vanilla vegan yogurt.
**Omit the xanthan gum if the gluten-free flour mix already contains it.
- Prep Time: 60 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 13 Grams
- Sodium: 61 Miligrams
- Fat: 27 Grams
- Saturated Fat: 18 Grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 Grams
- Trans Fat: 1 Gram
- Carbohydrates: 28 Grams
- Fiber: 2 Grams
- Protein: 5 Grams
- Cholesterol: 33 Miligrams
Keywords: vegan tiramisu layer cake, tiramisu layer cake, gluten-free tiramisu layer cake, tiramisu layer cake recipe