This gluten-free and vegan chocolate cake is both unbelievably delicious and easy to make. Rich and decadent chocolate cake layers stacked high with a whipped chocolate buttercream frosting. The perfect chocolate cake for any special celebration or for the chocolate-lover in your life.
- 2 cups (320g) gluten-free flour 1:1 baking blend *
- 2 cups (384g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (80g) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups (500ml) vegan milk, hot
- 1 cup (250ml) all-vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240g) vegan salted butter, room temperature **
- 1 cup (240g) all-vegetable shortening
- 5 cups (600g) icing sugar
- ½ cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional: vegan chocolate squares for decor
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare four 6-inch round cake pans with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Add in the remaining wet ingredients and combine until just incorporated.
- Divide the batter equally into the four prepared cake pans and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs on it.
- Allow the cake layers to cool in the pans for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack to fully cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the vegan butter and vegetable shortening on high speed until light and fluffy. This should take approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Sift in the icing sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and mix on low until combined.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix on low until combined.
- Turn the mixer up to high and let mix for 5 minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Level each fully cooled chocolate cake layer with a cake leveller or knife if needed.
- Place one leveled layer of cake on a cake board, plate, and/or cake turntable and top with approximately 1½ cups of chocolate buttercream.
- Repeat with the remaining layers and apply a thin coat of buttercream all over the cake. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Cover the cake with another layer of buttercream and smooth the sides with a cake smoother.
- Decorate the cake as you please. I used the tip of an offset spatula to create horizontal lines around the cake and three diagonal lines on the front. With a Wilton 1m piping tip, I piped swirls around the top border and placed a vegan chocolate square between each swirl. Enjoy.
- Store leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
* I used Kinnikinnick’s all-purpose baking blend. Make sure whatever blend you use contains xanthan gum. If it does not add in ½ tsp of xanthan gum.
** I love baking with Becel plant-based bricks
- Prep Time: 60 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 898
- Sugar: 76 Grams
- Sodium: 458 Miligrams
- Fat: 52 Grams
- Saturated Fat: 34 Grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 10 Grams
- Trans Fat: 1 Gram
- Carbohydrates: 101 Grams
- Fiber: 5 Grams
- Protein: 10 Grams
- Cholesterol: 117 Miligrams
Keywords: gluten-free chocolate cake, gluten free chocolate cak recipe, vegan chocolate cake, vegan chocolate cake recipe, gluten free and vegan chocolate cake