The most delicious vegan and gluten-free mint nanaimo bars perfect for a no-bake holiday treat! A classic Canadian dessert square made up of a chocolate cookie crumb coconut base, whipped mint buttercream frosting middle, and a thin layer of chocolate on top.
- ½ cup (120g) vegan salted butter, melted *
- ⅛ cup (24g) granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ cups (210g) gluten-free chocolate cookie crumbs **
- 1 cup (120g) sweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup (80g) chopped cashews
- ½ cup (120g) vegan salted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (180g) icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan milk
- 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- optional: green food colouring
- ¾ cup (195g) vegan semi-sweet chocolate ***
- 2 tsp. vegan salted butter
- optional: ½ cup festive sprinkles, dash of coarse sea salt, or crushed candy canes
MINT NANAIMO BARS
Prepare an 8×8 inch baking pan with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl combine all of the base ingredients and mix until a coarse sand-like texture is achieved.
Place the base mixture into the prepared baking pan and very firmly and evenly press down. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter on high until light and fluffy. This should take approximately 5 minutes.
Add in the icing sugar, milk, mint extract, and salt and mix on low until combined.
Add in 2 drops of green food coloring if desired.
Turn the mixer up to high and allow the frosting the whip for 5 minutes.
Spread the mint frosting evenly over the base layer and set aside.
Combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals until fully melted and smooth. Make sure to stir gently after each interval.
Spread the chocolate evenly on the mint buttercream layer and add sprinkles/toppings if desired.
Allow to fully cool and set for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator before slicing. See slicing tips in post.
Cut into 16 squares and enjoy! Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
* I use Becel plant-based bricks
** Kinnikinnick has a great gluten-free and vegan chocolate cookie crumb product that I always use in my baking
*** I use Pascha 55% semi-sweet chocolate chips for the top layer
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Category: Squares
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Square
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 38 Grams
- Sodium: 79 Miligrams
- Fat: 19 Grams
- Saturated Fat: 9 Grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 6 Grams
- Trans Fat: 1 Gram
- Carbohydrates: 46 Grams
- Fiber: 2 Grams
- Protein: 2 Grams
- Cholesterol: 47 Miligrams
Keywords: mint Nanaimo bars, no-bake mint nanaimo bars, vegan mint nanaimo bars, gluten-free mint nanaimo bars, peppermint Nanaimo bars, christmas Nanaimo bars