No one will ever guess these decadent, rich, and fudgy brownies were made from a box mix. A few simple extra ingredients and you’ll even surprise yourself with these better box mix dairy-free brownies.
- 1 box (450g) dairy-free brownie mix *
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ⅓ cup (80g) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) hot coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING
- ¼ cup (60g) dairy-free salted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup (60g) all-vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ cups (180g) icing sugar
- ¼ cup (20g) cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp dairy-free milk, room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare an 8 inch round cake pan or 8×8 inch baking pan with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl add in the brownie mix and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the egg, vegetable oil, hot coffee, and vanilla extract and mix until just combined. Be careful to not over mix the brownie batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly fudgy.
- Allow to fully cool in the pan on a cooling rack before frosting and cutting. **
CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter and shortening with the paddle attachment on high speed until light and fluffy. This should take approximately 10 minutes.
- Add in the icing sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and mix on low until fully incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla extract and milk and mix on low until incorporated.
- Turn the mixer up the high and allow to cream for 5 minutes.
- Remove the fully cooled brownie from the pan and place it on a plate, cake board, or cake turntable.
- With a Wilton 1m piping tip, pipe simple rosette swirls around the entire edge of the brownie. Enjoy!
- Brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days or frozen for 3 months.
* Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge brownie mix is dairy-free but you can use any brownie mix (450g) if you are not concerned about dairy.
** If you are having a hard time removing the brownies from the pan run a butter knife around the edges. You can also cool the brownies in the fridge if you would like to chill them faster.
- Category: Squares
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Brownie
- Calories: 271
- Sugar: 29 Grams
- Sodium: 268 Miligrams
- Fat: 12 Grams
- Saturated Fat: 7 Grams
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 Grams
- Trans Fat: 1 Grams
- Carbohydrates: 37 Grams
- Fiber: 1 Gram
- Protein: 3 Grams
- Cholesterol: 64 Miligrams
Keywords: brownies, box mix brownies, doctored box mix brownies, brownie recipe, dairy-free brownies, dairy-free box mix brownies, doctored brownie recipe, doctored dairy-free box mix brownies